Month: June 2017

Project of the month: June 2017

Project of the month: June 2017

This is the second post of our monthly series “Project of the Month”.

The vote will run for about a week and then we’re going to announce the project of the month. The winning maker will give you some behind-the-scences information about the project.

You can bring projects to our attention in two different ways:

We’re going to choose from those nominations but we can’t guarantee that any of them will come up in a vote because we have no idea how many projects will be sent in. The projects don’t have to be posted in that particular month.

So for June 2017, here are the three candidates.

1.  crazytimber: Plumwood
  2. joris.kronenberg: Dose
  3. hobbymaschine: Schale

Cast your vote

Which of the following projects is your Project of the Month (June 2017)
  • crazytimber: Plumwood 52%, 11 votes
    11 votes 52%
    11 votes - 52% of all votes
  • hobbymaschine: Selbst gedrechselte Schale 29%, 6 votes
    6 votes 29%
    6 votes - 29% of all votes
  • joris.kronenberg: Dose 19%, 4 votes
    4 votes 19%
    4 votes - 19% of all votes
Total Votes: 21
20.06.2017 - 30.06.2017
Voting is closed
Interview with James (tensquaremetres)

Interview with James (tensquaremetres)

In this post our community member James (Tensquaremetres) talks about his woodworking and his background.

Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss any posts.

Please see this FAQ about our use of languages.

In diesem Beitrag, möchten wir unser Community Mitglied James (tensquaremetres) vorstellen. Wir haben ihm ein paar Fragen zu sich und seinem Hobby gestellt und er hat uns geantwortet.

Abonniere unseren Newsletter, um künftige Beiträge nicht zu verpassen.

Please introduce yourself to our readers: Where are you from? What do you do when you’re not in the workshop, and where can we find you on the web?

I am James and by day I’m an IT Project Manager from the UK. My online woodworking presence is predominantly on Instagram as I love the simplicity of it over other social media. My Instagram name is @tensquaremetres – chosen because my house is small and I don’t have much space outside to work in! I have a YouTube account, though I don’t upload anything at present – it’s more passive engagement for me: keeps my woodworking and making subscriptions separate and makes it easy to communicate with others on the comments section.

How old are you and for how long have you been practicing woodworking as a hobby?

For the past four or five years I’ve been taking woodworking really seriously as my hobby. I’m 32-years-old now, and been making things here and there since I was a kid, but I think finding out I was going to be a father really triggered the urge to make more things with my hands – I have no idea why!

How did you come to do woodworking and what’s your motivation to practice this hobby?

It’s always something I’ve been interested in, though had many years of being lazy and partying instead of being productive.

Two things that reignited my interest were a good friend and housemate at university who studied design and had amazing projects and ideas around the house. He is now a successful furniture designer in London, and living with him was great inspiration to really invest time and effort into working with my hands more, so once I finished being lazy I did just that.

Secondly, Instructables! I didnt have much money at all at the time, and there were so many cool things being made on that site out of cheap and recycled things, I became obsessed with it myself, and eventually won a good prize in an Instructables woodworking contest which was pleasing and motivating.

Before that, while I was growing up my father was a good craftsman – he used to work in construction before I was born, building dams and things – and made a lot of things with his hands, from walls and sheds to toys like sledges for me. If something needed fixing, it would be fixed at home if possible so paying someone to make things you could learn to do yourself has always been a bit alien to me.

So I think my motivation in woodworking is based on this mindset to an extend, but when I get old I would like to have made as many things around my house as possible – everything will be, maybe not perfect, but unique and have a little story and bit of heart and soul in it. I love it when people ask “Where can I buy one of those?” and the answer is they can’t, because I made it! And finally, have a decent set of skills (and tools!) to pass to my son as he grows.

Why do you share your projects on the web?

To learn! The Instagram woodworking, and general maker, community is such a good hub for developing skills, getting ideas and meeting interesting people – there’s lots of very kind and talented woodworkers sharing ideas, inspiration and help. For instance I’ve recently bought a welder, as it’s something I’ve always wanted to learn, and received a lot of advice and recommendations already.

So while my projects are not nearly as impressive as other woodworkers online, I like to get feedback, share and record my progress, and – hopefully – do my little bit to keep the community a welcoming and interesting place.

What photo/video equipment do you use and why? If you make videos, what’s your typical workflow for a video?

I don’t make videos! I use my phone for 99.99% of my Instagram photos – it’s a Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime (really cheap, battery lasts forever) with an average sort of camera.

Do you have a favourite tool? If so, what do you like about it?

There’s not one single tool I’d call my favourite, but in terms of hand tools I have an Irwin 185mm pull saw which I use all the time and love to bits – it’s very sharp, has a super thin kerf and is great for small, neat and delicate work. My first proper hand plane is an old Stanley No.3 I restored – that’s the one I use most and I’m very attached to it.

I had a cheap chisel blade, well a set, that I cut short into butt chisels and put into new handles I bought online – the 16mm one get used all the time for all sorts of things. Metal rules can’t be beat for measuring and marking. And I’m a sucker for anything Wera or Knipex!

As for power tools, there’s nothing like a decent little trim router. A really versatile tool with so many applications you can’t very easily replicate. I recently got a tiny disc sander too, which is proving very useful indeed, so a bigger one is definitely on my shopping list. I’ve got an 18v drill and impact driver, though since I got a cheap little 10.8 V drill I really want to get more small drills and drivers – I love the size, weight and power of them!

Thanks for these insights and for your time! Happy woodworking!

Work safely on the table saw

Work safely on the table saw

IMPORTANT: Read our introduction to this blog series first. It contains some important limitations of what we can do here.

The table saw is probably one of the most used powert tools in the hobbyist wood shop. So today we want to give you some materials that you can use to learn about how to work safely on your table saw.

We’d like to encourage you to peruse and learn this information so you stay healthy!
Sicher arbeiten an der Tischkreissäge

Sicher arbeiten an der Tischkreissäge

WICHTIG: Für alle Beiträge in dieser Blogserie gilt, was wir in diesem Post zur Einleitung geschrieben haben.

Die Tischkreissäge ist wohl eine der am häufigsten benutzten Maschinen in der Hobbywerkstatt. Daher wollen wir Euch heute einige Materialien zum sicheren Arbeiten an der TKS an die Hand geben.

Wir möchten Euch ermuntern, Euch diese Informationen anzueignen, damit Eure  Gesundheit erhalten bleibt!

Sicher arbeiten – Work safely! Some important points to keep in mind

Sicher arbeiten – Work safely! Some important points to keep in mind

English

ChecklistWhen working with tools and especially power tools, safety is extremely important. An accident in the shop can turn a healthy, productive woodworker into a helpless patient who can possibly no longer provide for themselves or their family. Therefore we’d like to talk about safety in the hobbyist wood shop.

But there’s a problem. We’re all not professionals in this field and we don’t have the knowledge and the training to teach confidently about how you should use your particular tools and machines. To do that, we’d have to see your shop, we’d need to have special training and lots of experience on top. But still we want to talk about safety because it’s important.

So in this series of posts we’re going to point you to various topics that are safety relevant and we’re going to give you links to materials made by professionals so you can learn about the topic. Often it’s enough to be aware of a possible danger to reduce or prevent it. We want to sharpen your awareness and by giving you links make it easy for you to learn what you need to know so you can stay healthy and out of harms way.

Of course, we the community admins, cannot guarantee that in our videos and posts all safety measures are correct. We’re not professionals, after all. But if we all keep learning and point out mistakes to each other in a friendly, respectful way, that’s going to make everyone safer.

Deutsch

ChecklistSicherheit ist beim Arbeiten mit Werkzeugen und vor allem bei elektrischen Maschinen enorm wichtig. Ein Unfall in der Werkstatt kann innerhalb von Sekunden einen gesunden, produktiven Menschen in einen hilflosen, arbeitsunfähigen Patienten verwandeln. Daher wollen wir über das Thema Sicherheit in der Werkstatt sprechen.

Unser Problem dabei: Wir sind alle keine Profis und haben nicht die Fachkenntnisse, um Euch zu sagen, worauf Ihr in Eurer Werkstatt mit Euren Werkzeugen achten müsst. Dazu müsste man vor Ort sein, eine spezielle Ausbildung haben und außerdem viel Erfahrung. Trotzdem wollen wir das Thema Sicherheit nicht einfach sein lassen, denn es ist zu wichtig.

Daher werden wir in dieser Beitragsserie immer mal wieder auf einzelne Themen hinweisen und Euch Links zu Materialien geben, die von Profis erstellt wurden, so dass Ihr Euch in das Thema einarbeiten könnt. Meist hilft es schon, dass man sich einer Gefahr überhaupt bewusst ist, um sie zu reduzieren oder zu vermeiden. Dieses Bewusstsein wollen wir schärfen und es Euch durch Links zu Materialien möglichst leicht machen, die Dinge zu lernen, die Euch vielleicht helfen können, gesund und unversehrt zu bleiben.

Und natürlich können auch wir, die Community Admins, nicht garantieren, dass wir in unseren Videos und Beiträgen immer alles richtig machen. Wie gesagt: Wir sind keine Profis. Wenn wir aber alle beständig dazulernen und uns gegenseitig höflich und respektvoll auf Schwachpunkte hinweisen, bringt uns das alle weiter.

Holzwurm Tom’s LED Build Challenge – #holzwurmtomchallenge2017

Holzwurm Tom’s LED Build Challenge – #holzwurmtomchallenge2017

Our fellow community admin Thomas (HolzwurmTom) hosted a build challenge again this year (#holzwurmtomchallenge2017). The task was to build a lamp with LEDs.

All the projects are in and many of the people who built something are members of our community. So go over to his blog post where he collected all the videos and watch the creative and original lamps that were built in the course of this challenge. The variety and creative woodworking on display here is amazing!

You can also vote for your favourite project of the challenge. To do that, go to the home page of this blog and find the voting tool on the right. Voting will be open until midnight on 17.06.2017.

Holzwurm Tom’s LED Challenge

Winner of the Project of the month: May 2017

Winner of the Project of the month: May 2017

It was a close call between the three candidates for the Project of the Month May 2017. But in the end, Günter from AoK made the race with his small jewellery box.

Background story by AoK

Here’s his background story of the project – first in German, further down in English.

Schmuckkästchen von AoK

Dieses kleine Schmuckkästchen habe ich für die Challenge Tree 2017 vom Dominic Bender [also an EWC member] gebaut. Er veranstaltet diese Challenge jedes Jahr und für mich hat sie fast schon Kultstatus.

Ich habe die Box aus einem Stück Birkenast gebaut. Birke eignet sich hervorragende für solche arbeiten, weil das Holz eine schöne Maserung und die Rinde eine tolle Farbe hat.

Ich mag es besonders etwas mit der Bandsäge zu bauen, weil ich dann keinen großen Bauplan brauche und einfach loslege. Alles ergibt sich dann irgendwie von selbst. Ich kann viel improvisieren und freihand aufzeichnen und ausschneiden. Dann werden die Teile zusammengeleimt und noch ein paar Eyecatcher angeschraubt und das war’s dann auch schon.

Die Bandsäge ist mein absolutes Lieblingswerkzeug, einigermaßen genau und unkompliziert.
Ich hoffe das die Box Euch genauso gut gefällt wie mir. Wie ich das Teil gebaut habe sieht man ganz genau in meinem Video.

Vielen dank für das Intresse. Ich freu mich schon auf die anderen Projekte die hier vorgestellt werden und wünsche dem EWC alles gute für die Zukunft.

Liebe Grüße
Günter (AoK)

English version of AoK’s story

I built this small jewellery box for Dominic Bender’s  [also an EWC member] “Challenge Tree”. He does this challenge every year and for it already has cult status.

I made the box out of a birch branch. Birch is excellent for such projects because the wood has a nice grain and the bark has a beautiful colour.

I especially like to build projects with my bandsaw because I don’t need much planning, I just start into the project and see what happens. I improvise a lot and sketch saw lines freehand to cut out. Then I glue the parts up, add some eye candy here and there and that’s that.

The bandsaw is by far my favourite tool: quite accurate and simple to use. I hope you like the box as much as I do. The video show quite well how I made it.

Many thanks for your interest. I’m looking forward to the other projects that will be featured in this series and I wish all EWC members all the best!

Best wishes,
Yours, AoK

Have a look on Günter’s Page in the Members Area